Title and statement of responsibility area
George A. Stewart fonds
General material designation
- Architectural drawing
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1959 - 1976 (Creation)
- Stewart, George A.
Physical description area
6 rolls (75 sheets) of architectural drawings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
George Andrew Stewart was born in Boissevain, Manitoba and was the son of a United Church minister, Reverend J. F. Stewart. Stewart graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Architecture from the University of Manitoba in 1948. He was awarded, among other prizes, the Manitoba Association of Architects (MAA) Scholarship and the Ralph Hamm Memorial Scholarship. After graduation, he established his own practice which he ran until 1970.
From 1970-1982, George A. Stewart worked as the Director of the University of Manitoba, Physical Planning and Design Office. During this time, he designed the Ellis Building, renovated the Buller Biological Laboratories and oversaw the design and construction of several new buildings.
Stewart served on the Manitoba Association of Architects (MAA) Council and as MAA President (1958). As well he served on numerous committees of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC). He was appointed as a Fellow of the RAIC in 1966. In 1965, he was appointed to the Winnipeg Better Housing Commission.
Stewart had a particular interest in community public libraries which led to commissions for both the St. Vital and the Fort Garry branches.
Scope and content
Fonds includes original architectural drawings for public libraries (Fort Garry, St. Vital), churches (Fort Richmond Lutheran, Fort Garry United Church and its education building) and a private residence (proposed residence and extension for W.J. Hudson).
WAF also has digital copies of a personal scrapbook on permanent loan. Details available by request.
Records in excellent condition.
Immediate source of acquisition
Records donated to WAF by Janet Bones, daughter of George A. Stewart, on May 20, 2022.
Minimal archival interventions made.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Original scrapbook returned to donor after scans were made. WAF maintains the original architectural drawings.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access to these records.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers are responsible for observing copyright legislation. Permission may be required for any form of publication or exhibition where records are not in the public domain.
Finding aids available to download from MAIN.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
29 July 2022 [LEG]
Language of description
Script of description