Title and statement of responsibility area
Fort Rouge Methodist Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA 78-31; 91-25
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1m textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Fort Rouge Methodist Church existed in Winnipeg from 1883 to 1925. Its successor was the Fort Rouge United Church (1925-1935). Fort Rouge Methodist Church was organized in 1883 under the direction of Grace Methodist Church. From 1883 to 1887, Fort Rouge Methodist Sunday School and church services were held in the Pembina school house. In 1887, the congregation erected a church on the corner of Stradbrook Avenue and Joseph Street and formed the 'Winnipeg Mission', along with the congregation of McDougall. The minister of the Winnipeg Mission, Enos Langford, was shared by Fort Rouge and McDougall until 1889, when each church became an independent station and received their own ministers. In 1906, Fort Rouge Methodist Church purchased land at the corner of Nassau and Wardlaw and constructed part of a new church building. The eastern portion of the building, to be used primarily for Christian education, was completed in 1906 and the remainder of the church was completed in 1910. The official opening and dedication of the new church took place in April of 1911. Fort Rouge Methodist Church was partly responsible for the creation of the Sunshine Mission in 1916. Alongside Augustine Presbyterian Church, Fort Rouge helped to organize the Sunshine Mission (later known as Stafford Street Mission), which would eventually evolve into Harrow United Church. In 1923, Fort Rouge Methodist Church became one of the first churches in Canada to broadcast a church service over the radio. On Easter Sunday, April 1, 1923, Fort Rouge Methodist Church broadcast its church service on CKY. Fort Rouge Methodist Church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925, becoming Fort Rouge United Church.
The records of Fort Rouge Methodist Church came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of two transfers of records in 1978 and 1991.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Fort Rouge Methodist Church are arranged in the following series: Sacramental Registers, pertaining to Baptisms, 1887-1911, Marriages, 1888-1912, and Burials, 1887-1906; Membership Rolls, including circuit registers, 1887-1925; records of the Quarterly Board Executive, including minutes, 1918-1922; records pertaining to the Board of Stewards and church property, including minutes, correspondence and financial records, 1913-1917; and records of lay associations, including the Women's Missionary Society and Ladies Aid, 1892-1923.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and item level inventory available.
Related material: See records of Fort Rouge United Church for records pertaining to Fort Rouge Methodist Church dating from 1910.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg Presbytery (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description