Fonds 02-02 - Fort Garry United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Fort Garry United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA 02-02

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1923-1993 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

2 folders textual material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Fort Garry United Church has existed in Winnipeg since 1921. The first church service was held in November of 1921 in General Byng School and was organized through the efforts of Mr. Alexander Baird, an elder of Augustine Presbyterian Church. The church began as a mission church sanctioned by both the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches in Canada and was named 'United Church, Fort Garry'. The congregation held services in Boyce's Store and Fort Garry's Municipal Hall until a church building was constructed in 1922. The church inducted its first ordained minister, Rev. S. C. Studd, in April 1924. The church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925, and began referring to itself as 'Fort Garry United Church'. Though the church did not officially pass a motion declaring their name to be 'Fort Garry United Church' until 1946, the name was consistently used both formally and informally since the time of union. In 1947, the Fort Garry United Church was moved to a new location at the corner of Lyon Street and Point Road and was remodeled and expanded to include a basement/Church Hall. By 1955, a new sanctuary was built and the older building was used for meetings and Christian Education. In 1961, the old church building was donated to the Hungarian United Church and a new Christian Education wing was added. The opening of the new structure was celebrated concurrent to the Fort Garry United Church's fortieth anniversary celebrations. Fort Garry United Church is located at 800 Point Road, Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Custodial history

The records of Fort Garry United Church accumulated over time in the vertical file of the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario and were accessioned in 2001.

Scope and content

The surviving records of Fort Garry United Church include Annual Reports, 1987-1993; and reference material c. 1923.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid and item level inventory available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres