Fonds BC-523, R81, pp 230-2105; R82, pp 1-440 - Fort Garry Mennonite Brethren Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Fort Garry Mennonite Brethren Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CMBS BC-523, R81, pp 230-2105; R82, pp 1-440

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1956-1998 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

30 cm of textual records
1 microfilm reel

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Fort Garry Mennonite Brethren Church started in a tiny chapel called the Gospel Light Mission located on Logan Avenue in Winnipeg. It was referred to as the Logan Mission. Because of the growth of the group, they needed to move to a larger location. When it re-located to 760 McMillan Avenue, it was called the Fort Rouge MB Church. Many people joined the congregation, especially from the old South End MB Church. Most of the people were younger and came mainly because the services were only in English. The dedication of the Fort Rouge MB Church was held in 1959. In 1963 the need for a larger building was there again and so they built a new church building on Pembina Highway. Since it was located near the University of Manitoba, many students started attending the services. They officially changed the name to Fort Garry MB Church. In the late seventies, the church was enlarged with a new educational wing, more office space and a foyer. The leaders were: Dave Nikkel (1959-1960), J. J. Toews (1960-1962), John M. Schmidt (1962-1963), John Wall (1963-1973), Hugo Jantz (1974-1977), Herb Kopp (1979-1984), Dan Unrau (1985-1991), Gordon Stewart (1992-1993), and Calvin Bergen (1994-1998).

Custodial history

Some of the documents were microfilmed in 1979 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.

Scope and content

This fond consists of information for a historical sketch, directories, church portrait books, weekly bulletins, minutes for the membership, and church council meetings, financial information, correspondence, study papers, and information from the Facilities Review Commission.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series description and a file list are available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres