Fonds OW.029 - Fisherton, St John fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Fisherton, St John fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.029

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1930 - 1995 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

2 cm textual material plus photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The mission at Fisherton, located in the R.M. of Fisher, 150 km north of Winnipeg, first appears in the 1914 Synod Journal with Peguis. The "Busy Bees Club" of Fisherton decided after the First World War to raise money to build an Anglican Church. Plans for the church began in 1927 but was put on hold until more money was raised. Mr Bob O'Malley donated 2 acres of land for the church site in 1930. Construction of a church finally began in the summer of 1932 after the Diocese gave a building grant of $200. The church was dedicated by Archbishop Isaac Stringer on September 4, 1932. The Busy Bees also paid for the board of students from Toronto Trinity College who came to conduct services. There was no incumbent for Fisherton from 1924-1939. It was independently known as "Fisherton North" from 1924-1928 and 1936-1939, and associated with Hodgson from 1929-1933. It was not listed in the Synod Journal from 1941-1962. The church was destroyed by fire on July 23, 1968 and was replaced by the former church building of All Saints, Scotch Bay, which was built in 1938. All Saints Church was brought to its new home on April 2, 1969. St John, Fisherton was also connected with Hodgson from 1965-1968, and has been connected with Hodgson - Peguis Parish since 1969.

Custodial history

None documented

Scope and content

The records of Fisherton, St John held at the Diocese of Rupert's Land Archives include: Canonical Documents (1940); Plans (1987); Titles (1930-1994); a Sacramental Register (1969-1995); and reference material.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish Registers is limited to Archives staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See also Peguis, All Saints/ St Peter/St Matthew (OW.068) and Hodgson, St Philip (OW.040).

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres