Fonds Ex-28; 81-16 - First Methodist Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

First Methodist Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Ex-28; 81-16

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1911-1919 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

3 vol. textual material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Also known as Yale Avenue Church, First Methodist Church existed in the Winnipeg district of Transcona from 1910 to 1925. Student minister James Wilkins held the first Methodist service in Transcona in the dining room of Peterson and Fell's construction camp in May 1910. A tent was erected for services during the summer and fall. In August of 1910, W. J. Christie donated land on Yale Avenue to the congregation and the cornerstone for the First Methodist Church was laid. Construction of the church was complete by November of 1910 and the church was opened and dedicated by Rev. Dr. Andrew Stewart. In 1925, First Methodist Church joined the United Church of Canada and officially adopted the name Yale Avenue United Church.

Custodial history

The records of First Methodist Church came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of two transfers of records between 1970 and 1981.

Scope and content

The surviving records of First Methodist Church are arranged in the following series: records pertaining to Christian Education, including minutes, 1911-1919; records of the Epworth League, including rolls and minutes, 1913-1915; and records of lay associations, including the Ladies Aid, 1912-1919.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid and item level inventory available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres