First Methodist Church

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

First Methodist Church

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Also known as Yale Avenue Church, First Methodist Church existed in the Winnipeg district of Transcona from 1910 to 1925. Student minister James Wilkins held the first Methodist service in Transcona in the dining room of Peterson and Fell's construction camp in May 1910. A tent was erected for services during the summer and fall. In August of 1910, W. J. Christie donated land on Yale Avenue to the congregation and the cornerstone for the First Methodist Church was laid. Construction of the church was complete by November of 1910 and the church was opened and dedicated by Rev. Dr. Andrew Stewart. In 1925, First Methodist Church joined the United Church of Canada and officially adopted the name Yale Avenue United Church.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC