First Congregational Church

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

First Congregational Church

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

First Congregational Church existed in Winnipeg from 1879 until 1883. The first meeting of the congregational church took place in 1879 at the home of K. F. Lockhart. Early Sunday School and worship services were held in City Hall. A church was built in 1882 on the corner of Hargrave Street and Qu'Appelle Avenue. However, financial difficulties culminated in the foreclosure of the First Congregational Church building by the bank, and the dissolution of the congregation. Rev. J. B. Silcox then raised enough money to buy back the church, and as proprietor he loaned the building back to the congregation. The congregation renamed itself 'Central Congregational Church'.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places