Title and statement of responsibility area
Fifth Avenue United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 1999-76; 05-02; 2009-24
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
4 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Fifth Avenue United Church existed in the Manitoba community of Souris, located south of Brandon, from 1925 to 1946. Its predecessor was Fifth Avenue Methodist Church. Fifth Avenue Methodist Church and Knox Presbyterian Church each became United Churches and initially kept their own church buildings and ministers. In 1925, Fifth Avenue United Church was associated with Riverview. Rev. T. Neville presided at this time. In 1938, Knox's Rev. G. Abernathy had become ill and Fifth Avenue's Rev. N. Daynard suggested that he preach in both churches until Rev. Abernathy was well. More joint preaching was undertaken in summer and fall, following which it was proposed that united services continue. Later Rev. Abernathy left and Rev. Daynard continued, the two churches sharing his salary. Locally Fifth Avenue Church was known as the "east" church at that time. In 1942 Souris Air School opened and the basement of the "east" church was equipped as a club room for the airmen. Knox Church, the "west" church, was then being used for all worship services. In 1944 the congregations decided to use only the "east" church. The auditorium ceiling was lowered and oil heat installed. The "west" church's pipe organ was moved and rebuilt in the "east" church. Fifth Avenue United Church was renamed St. Paul's United Church in 1946.
The records of Fifth Avenue United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the Souris-Elgin Pastoral charge in 1999, 2005 and 2009.
Scope and content
The records of Fifth Avenue United Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental Register pertaining to Baptisms (1914-1929), Marriages (1913-1929) and Burials (1913-1922); records of the Ladies Aid (1916-1936); financial records (1926, 1927, 1930); and records of the congregation (1882-1939).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the Souris-Elgin Pastoral charge and St. Paul's United Church fonds for other material pertaining to Fifth Avenue United Church.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description