Fonds - Ethelbert United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Ethelbert United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1903-1990 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

.5m textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The community of Ethelbert is located north of Dauphin on the Canadian National Railway line. The area was settled by Ukrainian immigrants, somewhat later than the nearby areas of Ste. Rose and Gilbert Plains. A Presbyterian mission, established to serve this immigrant community, has been active in Ethelbert from the early years of the twentieth century and the community was also the site of a Woman's Missionary Society hospital from 1915 to around 1957. Appointments served from Ethelbert included Garland, Pine River, Sclater, and Cowan; a WMS dispensary also operated at Pine River from 1920 to 1946. In 1925, Rev. Ephraim Perich presided over the Ethelbert field. For many years, Ethelbert was part of a Home Missions Field and students served it during the 1940s and 1950s. Ethelbert ceased to be a Home Missions Field in 1972. Ethelbert United Church has been part of the Gilbert Plains Pastoral Charge since 1980. Previous to that, Ethelbert was involved in multi-point charge relationships with Pine River, Garland and Winnipegosis from 1958 to 1972, and with Pine River from 1972 to 1980. Sifton was also part of the Winnipegosis-Ethelbert-Pine River Charge during the 1960s. Sifton Church was closed and the building was sold in 1969. At the time of description, Ethelbert United Church is part of the Gilbert Plains-Ethelbert Pastoral Charge in Northland Presbytery.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The series consists of documents created by the congregations of the Ethelbert United Church and includes the following sub-series: Sacramental Registers, 1903-1968; Membership Rolls and records of the Session, 1915-1955; Annual Reports, 1972-1990; records pertaining to church property, 1955; and records of Lay Associations, 1952-1973.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres