Title and statement of responsibility area
Ethelbert United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA 92-03
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
11 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The community of Ethelbert is located north of Dauphin on the Canadian National Railway line. The area was settled by Ukrainian immigrants, somewhat later than the nearby areas of Ste. Rose and Gilbert Plains. A Presbyterian mission, established to serve this immigrant community, has been active in Ethelbert from the early years of the twentieth century and the community was also the site of a Woman's Missionary Society hospital from 1915 to around 1957. Appointments served from Ethelbert included Garland, Pine River, Sclater, and Cowan; a WMS dispensary also operated at Pine River from 1920 to 1946. In 1925, Rev. Ephraim Perich presided over the Ethelbert field. For many years, Ethelbert was part of a Home Missions Field and students served it during the 1940s and 1950s. Ethelbert ceased to be a Home Missions Field in 1972. Ethelbert United Church has been part of the Gilbert Plains Pastoral Charge since 1980. Previous to that, Ethelbert was involved in multi-point charge relationships with Pine River, Garland and Winnipegosis from 1958 to 1972, and with Pine River from 1972 to 1980. Sifton was also part of the Winnipegosis-Ethelbert-Pine River Charge during the 1960s. Sifton Church was closed and the building was sold in 1969. At the time of description, Ethelbert United Church is part of the Gilbert Plains-Ethelbert Pastoral Charge in Northland Presbytery.
The records of Ethelbert United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records in March, 1992 from the Ethelbert Pastoral charge.
Scope and content
The records of Ethelbert United Church held at the conference archives include: a Sacramental Register (1903-1968); record of marriage (1918-1947); records of Session (1915-1948); records of the Official Board (1951); financial records (1955); records of the Women's Association (1952-1973); annual meetings; an order of service (1955); and miscellaneous receipts.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the Gilbert Plains Pastoral charge fonds for other records pertaining to Ethelbert United Church.
Further accruals are expected.
Language of material note
The materials are in predominantly English. The minutes of annual meetings have been translated from the Ukrainian originals.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description