Title and statement of responsibility area
Emerson Methodist Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1876 - 1914 (Creation)
Physical description area
4 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Both the Episcopal Methodist Church and the Wesleyan Methodist Church had congregations in the Manitoba community of Emerson, located ninety kilometres south of Winnipeg's perimeter in the Red River Valley. The first Episcopal Methodist service was held on 27 September 1875 in Hutchinson's Hotel and was led by Reverend Daniel Pomeroy. A church was built on the corner of Dominion and First Streets and dedicated on 19 November 1876. When a brick church with a tall spire was built in 1879, the previous church was converted into a residence for a Mr. and Mrs. Fairbanks and then was destroyed by fire in the early 1900s. Reverend George Young of the Wesleyan Methodist Church arrived in 1879 and by 1884, a church known as the Tabernacle was built on the corner of Winnipeg and Morris Streets. The Episcopal Methodist Church continued to be used after the union between the Wesleyan and Episcopal Methodist churches in 1884, although it had been sold to the Salvation Army and had to be bought again. The Tabernacle was sold the following year. The former Episcopal church was extensively remodeled and reopened on 8 May 1898 as the Emerson Methodist Church. The Emerson Methodist circuit included points at Dominion City, Marais River, Minnesota, Stockport, and West Lynn. A Local Union was formed between St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church and Emerson Methodist Church in 1921. The Methodist church was sold following Local Union.
The records of Emerson Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the Valley Pastoral charge in 1978 and from the Manitoba Archives in 2000.
Scope and content
The records of the Emerson Methodist Church held at the conference archives include Sacramental registers pertaining to Baptisms (1876, 1877, 1879, 1881, 1890-1914), Marriages (1877-1879, 1881, 1890-1914) and Burials (1877-1879, 1890-1914).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the records of St. Andrew's United Church for further material pertaining to Emerson Methodist Church. Emerson Methodist Church is also described as a fonds of the Valley Pastoral charge.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description