Fonds BC-505, R85, pp. 137-1618 - Elm Creek Mennonite Brethren Church, Elm Creek, Manitoba fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Elm Creek Mennonite Brethren Church, Elm Creek, Manitoba fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CMBS BC-505, R85, pp. 137-1618

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1926-1998 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

0.5 cm of textual records
1 microfilm reel

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

In 1926 there were 30 Mennonite families from Russia living in the Elm Creek, Culross , and Barnsley districts of Manitoba. The families represented three denominations including Evangelical Mennonite, Mennonite General Conference and the Mennonite Brethren. Jacob Loewen served as leader at this time. In 1929 a group of 23 people became an affiliated of the Winkler MB Church. In 1931, they officially organized as the Elm Creek MB Church. The group met in local schools and because of the difficulties of not having their own building, the congregation decided to build their own church. Many people moved to Elm Creek from Saskatchewan and in 1944, the building was enlarged and a basement was added. In 1950, a larger church was built and in 1964, an extension added. In 1978 a fellowship hall was built along side the church. Through the years the church was able to keep an active youth group and choir. The leaders of the church included: H. J. Wiebe (1931-1936), J. G. Wiens (1937-1946), H. H. Enns (1947-1953), J. G. Wiens (1954-1959), N. J. Dyck (1960-1963), Jacob W. Kroeker (1964-1972), J. P. Neufeld (1973), Elvin Penner (1974-1975), Neil Funk (1978-1983), John Balzer (1985-1987), Harold Reimer (1989-1990), John Willems (1992-1998).

Custodial history

Some of the textual records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of membership records, minutes from the congregational and council meetings, youth committee program outlines, historical sketches, a church bulletin and one letter.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series description and a file list are available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres