Title and statement of responsibility area
Elgin United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 1999-76
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1896 - 2004 (Creation)
Physical description area
49 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Elgin United Church has existed in the Manitoba community of Elgin, located south of Souris in the Rural Municipality of Whitewater, since 1925. Its predecessors were Knox Presbyterian Church and Grace Methodist Church, who formed a Local Union in 1922. Grace Methodist Church continued to be used as Elgin United Church. In 1925, Elgin was the principle preaching point in a field with Fairfax and Millerway. Rev. Hugh Hamilton presided over this field. In 1936 T. J. Moffat had the church wired for electricity. In 1949, Mrs. W. H. Lucy had chimes installed. In 1953 the church dedicated a Hammond organ to the memory of pioneers and their families and in remembrance of the area`s war dead, and between 1959 to 1962 Memorial Committee Funds beautified the church sanctuary. Rural population decreased in the 1960s and church attendance declined. Fairfax, Regent, and Elgin became one congregation, based in Elgin. Pews from Fairfax were brought to Elgin and cut down for Junior Choir use in 1972. Stained glass windows were dedicated in 1977. In 1989 a baptismal font from Fairfax was donated and dedicated. At the time of description, Elgin United Church is part of the Souris-Elgin Pastoral charge in the Assiniboine Presbytery.
The records of Elgin United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of material from Souris United Church in 1988 and from the Souris-Elgin Pastoral charge in 1999.
Scope and content
The records of Elgin United Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental Registers pertaining to Baptisms (1896-1972), Marriages (1897-1972), and Burials (1912-1972); Communion Roll (1906-1926); records of the Board of Management/ Stewards (1924-1967); records of the Trustee Board (1929-1939); records of the Official Board (1927-1968); records of the congregation (1922-2004); financial records (1951-1981); records of the Ladies Aid and Woman's Missionary Society (W.M.S) (1922-1961); records of the Woman's Association (W.A.) and W.M.S. (1943-1952); records of the W.M.S. (1952-1961); records of the United Church Guild (1930 -1955); records of the W.A. (1952-1961); records of the United Church Women (U.C.W.) (1962-1992); records of the Young Women's Association (1958-1961); records of the Young People's Society (1935-1938); records of the Young People's Union (1938-1940); records of the Sunday School (1943-1947); histories for Women's Organizations (1957, 1961); and records of the Session (1922-1990).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the Elgin Pastoral charge fonds for other material pertaining to Elgin United Church.
Further accruals are expected
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description