Sous-fonds SF1 - Department of Dietetics sous-fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Department of Dietetics sous-fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Sous-fonds

Reference code

CA HSCA/M F3-SF1

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1937; 1945, 1960-2004 (Creation)
    Creator
    Department of Dietetics

Physical description area

Physical description

138.6 cm textual records
1,511 Photographs
5 albums
5 Objects
3 DVDs
1 Floppy Disc

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1937; 1945, 1960-2004)

Administrative history

The Winnipeg General Hospital became incorporated on May 14, 1875 and at that time the Board of Trustees was put in charge of the purchasing and maintenance of the food for the patients. The doctors determined a patient’s meal as the hospital lacked a formalized training program for Dieticians. The Dietary Department of the Winnipeg General Hospital began informally with the creation of the diet kitchen. The diet kitchen was operated through the Winnipeg General Hospital School of Nursing and was staffed as a part of the nursing rotation. The ward kitchens were where the specialty food for the patients was prepared by the nursing students. The dieticians were strictly clinical as the main kitchens were run by the so called Chinese cooks, beginning with the first Chinese head cook of the Winnipeg General Hospital, Joe Mar (Yock Mah) who was hired in 1912. The diet kitchen and main kitchen were separate entities under the banner of the hospital’s food services. It was not until 1954 that the dieticians gradually began to integrate into the kitchens, bringing the departments together under one cohesive management. The Diet Kitchen was finally removed from the hospital in 1960 and in 1961 a new cafeteria was opened which changed the organization of the hospital’s food services.

With the opening of the new Cafeteria in 1961 and the change in the administrative structure throughout the 1950’s and 1960’s the dietary department began to encompass purchasing, staff feeding areas, catering, menu planning, budgeting, food research, patient diet as well as retained control of the kitchens. It was in this period that the dietetic internship program was revived.
The Winnipeg General Hospital Dietetic internship began an experimental program offered in 1928 to provide a work experience program for university graduates in home economics. The program was stopped in 1944 for reasons unknown and was not revived until 1967 under the leadership of Alva Gross. The program would grow to become the largest in Canada before its closure in 2004 to integrate with other regional programs in Manitoba. The student transcripts and records relating to the personal information of the Dietetic Interns were given to the new regional program under the authority of Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA).

The department of dietetics was formally created in 1918 with the director charged with the administration of patient diets, formula for newborns, tube feeding and other clinical tasks for patients. The student nurses prepared special diets set forth by the dieticians. The following people served as Dietary Department Directors between 1918-2004: Mary M. Bruce (1918-1928), Kathleen Cunningham (1928-31), Elizabeth Pickersgill (1931-1939), Anne Livingstone (1939-1941), Marion Hobbs (1941-1943), Alice Vasey (1943-1946), Erma Baldwin (1946-1948), Beth Seys (1948-1950), Mrs. Earl Dagg (spring 1950-fall 1950), J. Bennett (1950-1959), Betty King (1959-63), After the department was changed to Department of Dietetics Alva Gross (1963-1975), Marianne Schumacher (1976-1991), Lorraine Cook (1991-1994), Paul Brewer (1994-1997), Colleen Koch-Mcdonald (1997-2004)

Custodial history

Records created and kept by the Director of the Dietetics Department and Dietetic internship program then given to the custody of Shirley Layne, Director of the Dietetic Internship program from 1972-1995. The dietetic internship program was amalgamated with Misericordia Hospital and St. Boniface General Hospital in 2004 under the authority of the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA). Shirley Layne was asked to wind down the program and was also hired by Colleen Koch-Macdonald to go through and assess the historical records of the department that were deemed unneeded as the program had gone to the region. The inactive records were then donated to the HSC Archives/Museum under Colleen Koch-McDonald, Director of Retail Food Services Department at the Health Science Centre.

Scope and content

The sous- fonds contains the records of the Dietetic department relating primarily to the history of the department and the creation and administration of the internship program. Records are primarily from 1967-2004, records arranged by year and subject. The records of the fonds were appraised and arranged by Shirley Layne as Director of the Dietetic Internship program at the closure of the program in 2004, before donation to the archives.
Sous-Fonds includes DVDs on the history of the department, HR materials,departmental newsletters, awards, staff scheduling books and policy manuals documenting the operation of the department and include information and photographs of anniversaries, graduations and hospital events.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Colleen Koch-McDonald, Director of Retail Food Services Department at the Health Science Centre.

Arrangement

The photographs and textual materials have been separated for conservation reasons. They are in parallel files allowing for cross reference.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions apply with reference to patient names see PHIA. Some restrictions apply to records of the “Chinese kitchens.” Consult archivist as some restrictions apply for the publishing of some materials.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised on August 14, 2013.

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres