Title and statement of responsibility area
Deloraine United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA 78 - 9; 84 - 21; 89 - 23
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
39 cm textual material.
4 audio records.
4 audio records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Located in the south-western corner of Manitoba in the community of Deloraine, the Deloraine United Church opened in 1925. After a Local Union between the town's Presbyterian and Methodist congregations in 1917, the Deloraine Union Church officially joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. After the Local Union, the former Presbyterian church was used as a high school. Rev. P.V. Samson was the first United minister. Worship was held in the former Methodist church until fire almost completely destroyed it in 1951. A new church was constructed in 1952. A new manse was purchased in 1993. According to congregational minutes, in 1934, the churches of Deloraine and Hazeldean formed a two-point charge, and in 1936, Kirkwood was added. In 1942, Deloraine and Medora amalgamated to form a two-point charge. Hazeldean and Kirkwood were closed following the amalgamation. According to the United Church Yearbooks, however, Deloraine and Medora are listed as separate fields until 1953 when they created a three-point charge with the Otter congregation. In 2009, Deloraine joined the Melita Pastoral charge to form the Deloraine-Melita-Tilston Pastoral charge in the Assinboine Presbytery.
The records of Deloraine United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a number of transfers of records from the Deloraine Pastoral charge in 1978, 1984 and 1989.
Scope and content
The records of Deloraine United Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental Registers (1911-1962); Annual Reports (1933-1990); Records of the Congregation (1945-1960); Records of the Official Board (1945-1969); Financial Records (1915-1934); Records of the Ladies Aid (1917-1934); Records of the Women's Association (1940-1950); Records of the Canadian Girls in Training (1951-1957); Records of Session (1917-1974); Records of the Board of Stewards (1951-1970); Records of the Joint Official Board (1954-1981); Records of the Women's Missionary Society (1933-1954); Records of the United Church Women (1968-1980); an Order of Service (1947); Miscellaneous Records (up to the 1940s); Records of the Deloraine Young People's Union (1 photograph, 1950); and four audio records.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the Pastoral Charge Still Images Collection for photographs and records pertaining to Deloraine United Church.
Further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description