Title and statement of responsibility area
Decker United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 02 - 35
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1917 - 1980 (Creation)
Physical description area
3 volumes, 3 folders textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Decker United Church was formed in the community of Decker, Manitoba, located in the Rural Municipality of Hamiota, in 1925. The predecessor of Decker United Church was Decker Union Church. Church services originated in the Decker area in the 1880s. Early services were held in private homes, the local school, and later, in the Decker Memorial Hall. Members of the Decker congregation also attended services in the neighbouring churches of Orrwold and Lavinia. Decker was connected in a union charge with Orrwold and Isabella before the charge became part of the United Church of Canada in 1925. This arrangement continued after joining the United Church of Canada. Rev. J.C. Anderson officiated over the first United services. Decker also participated in charges with Lavinia, McConnell, Hamiota, and most recently, Shoal Lake. The Decker United Church structure dates back to 1934, when the congregation of Decker purchased the former Knox Presbyterian Church of Hamiota, disassembled and moved it, and used the material in the construction of the Decker Church. The cornerstone was laid in July 1934, and the Decker United Church was opened for services in October of that same year. In 1939, Orrwold United Church, closed and remaining members of the congregation joined the Decker United Church. Proceeds from the sale of the Orrwold Church were applied to the debt that remained on the Decker Church. Decker United Church closed in 2008.
The records of Decker United Church and Decker Union Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records in 2002.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Decker United Church and Decker Union Church are arranged in the following series: records of the Session, including minutes(1923); records of the Official Board and Unified Board, including minutes (1917 - 1980); records of Annual Congregational Meetings, including minutes (1923 - 1978); records pertaining to the Board of Stewards/ Elders and church property, including minutes, agreements, financial statements and correspondence (1922- 1980); and reference material, including a church history.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the records of the Shoal Lake - Decker Pastoral charge for further material pertaining to Decker United Church.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description