Fonds OW.020 - Davis Point, St George fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Davis Point, St George fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.020

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1937 - 1991 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

3.5 cm textual material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The congregation of St George, Davis Point was formed in the 1930s. Mr Homer Chase, who had arrived in Davis Point in 1936, donated two acres of land from his farm for a church and cemetery. He also helped to build the church that was completed in the fall of 1939. The church was consecrated as St George's Anglican church on October 1, 1939, although an entry in the Acts of the Bishop indicates that consecration occurred on 21 September 1941. It does not, however, appear in the Synod Journals until 1943. It is not listed in Synod Journals from 1957 to 1980. The church is still heated by a wood stove and lit with candles. St George, Davis Point has always been associated with the Fairford Group, which includes St Helen, Fairford (OW. 027), St John the Baptist, Lake St Martin (OW.045), St Mary, Sandy Bay (OW. 083). Priests from the Fairford Parish conduct the services for the Group.

Custodial history

Transfer of records from Parish to archives in 1971, 1980, and 1998.

Scope and content

The records of St George, Davis Point held at the Diocesan Archives include: Canonical documents (1939-1949), Titles (1939, 1998), Blueprints and Plans (1939), one sacramental register (1937-1991), one record of services book (1937-1941), five still images, and reference material.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish registers is limited to Archives staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See also Ashern, St Michael (OW.003), Fairford, St Helen (OW.027); Gypsumville (OW.037), the Manuscript Papers of Maurice Sanderson (M.34), and William Stagg, Abraham Crowley, Ronald McCullogh (Clergy and Laity Reference Files).

Associated material: Ecclesiastical Province of Rupert's Land (Acc: DRL-84-68; DRL-84-163; DRL-84-48)

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Language of material note

English.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres