Title and statement of responsibility area
Dauphin Plains United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 1996 - 09
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
9 volumes + 3 folders textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Dauphin Plains United Church was founded in 1925 after the Dauphin Plains Presbyterian Mission joined the United Church of Canada. The first Presbyterian student minister came to the Dauphin Plains area around 1890 to serve on what was then known as the Valley River Mission Field. By 1899, services were being held in a local schoolhouse for a field that included the points of Dauphin Plains, Wilson River and Spruce Creek. The first ordained minister in the area was Rev. J. J. Carson who came out in 1894. A Presbyterian Church was built in 1905. WW I brought the first experience of de-population to the Dauphin Plains area and the charge struggled to support their minister. The charge was forced to close during the winter months for a number of years and rely on summer students. At the time of Union in 1925, the field consisted of Listowel and Valley River. On June 8, 1969 the Dauphin Plains congregation voted to merge with Dauphin First United Church. The church building was sold May 23, 1970 and removed from the property. A motion to sell the land to Murdoch McNaughton was passed by Official Board October 1978.
The records of the Dauphin Pastoral Charge came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of two transfers of records from the charge in 1996 and 1998.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of documents created by the congregation of the Dauphin Plains United Church and includes the following series: Sacramental Registers, 1905-1967; Membership Rolls, 1901-1913; records of Annual Meetings of the congregation and Annual Reports, 1944-1971; records pertaining to church property, 1978; and records of Lay Associations, 1913-1943.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage, and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series description; file lists available.
Related material: See also the Dauphin Plains Home Mission Register for 1940-1960, Box 509-1-2-1, for three record books containing communion rolls, 1946-1960; baptisms, 1950-1952, 1954, 1956-1959; and burials, 1958.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description