Fonds Acc: Unknown - Current River United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Current River United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Acc: Unknown

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1949 -1994 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 folder textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Current River United Church has existed in the Northwestern Ontario community of Current River, located northeast of Port Arthur in Thunder Bay, since 1954. It originated when Gladys Ansell, a deaconess from Wesley United Church, Fort William, was directed to spend a day a week in the Current River area to investigate the need for establishing church work there in 1949. Permission was received for the establishment of a Sunday school in October of 1949, and classes were soon held in the Current River School Auditorium. A congregation was established in November of 1949 with the Rev. J.E. Scarfe from nearby Knox United Church giving advice and assistance to the new congregation. Current River United Church first appeared in the 1951 Yearbook of the United Church of Canada in its own pastoral charge within the Superior Presbytery. In early 1951, the congregation voted to officially adopt the name "Current River United Church.". Land for a church building was donated by Mr. Andrew Livingston. Worship in the almost finished and furnished basement of the new church began in 1951 and continued until 1954. The completed church building was dedicated on October 24, 1954. Current River United Church is located at 333 Morse Street.

Custodial history

The records of Current River United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario from Current River United Church.

Scope and content

The records held at the Archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario include the following series: "A History of Current River United Church, 1949-1954" by Alma Gatheru, Robert Gatherum and Verna Hyatt, September 1975; Current River United Church Annual Reports, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1993; Current River United Church Newsletters, November 1987, April 1990, Easter 1994.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres