Title and statement of responsibility area
Cumberland District Missions fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 1996 - 09
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
2 volumes of textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Cumberland Church was one of the first churches built in the Dauphin district, opened around 1890. The first building was a co-operative effort by the Methodists and Anglicans in the area. Conflict, however, among the settlers resulted in the building being closed to co-operative use soon after. A Presbyterian mission was also operating in the area, serving the preaching points of Gartmore and Willow Loop as well as Cumberland. Services were held in the local school (Spruce Creek), and later in the Spruce Creek Hall by United Church student ministers, until 1942. Several attempts were made over the years to construct a new building. Land was cleared, a cemetery was begun nearby and the small congregation was served from Dauphin. However, by the time WW I broke out, it was apparent that the congregation was too small to support the construction of a church.
The records of the Cumberland District Missions came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of two transfers of records from the charge in 1996.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of Sacramental Registers created by the Cumberland Methodist Mission Circuit. While Cumberland also had a Presbyterian mission, the Archives have accessioned no distinct records for that mission. Items described here consist of two Sacramental Registers containing entries for the Cumberland Methodist Mission Circuit, which include baptism, marriage and burial entries for the period from 1901-1929 inclusive.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description