Fonds OW.018 - Cook's Creek, Christ Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Cook's Creek, Christ Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.018

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1887-c1932 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.0 cm textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Location of Parish, SW 6-12-6E, nr Hazelridge.
Documentary History: Deed of Formation, Machray, 8 November 1887. Sentence of Consecration, Machray, 4 June 1889.Petition of Consecration, n.d.,The Rev WA Butterworth, inc.
Cook's Creek is well known as a Ukrainian settlement with a magnificent grotto and Immaculate Conception Ukrainian Catholic Church. The original settlers in the district came from the British Isles, the United States and Ontario. They built a school and held both Presbyterian and Anglican services there. Cook's Creek is well known as a Ukrai¬nian settlement with a magnificent grotto and Immaculate Conception Ukrainian Catholic Church. The original settlers in the district came from the British Isles, the United States and Ontario. They built a school and held both Presbyterian and Anglican, services there. The Rev. G.H. Hooper was the first Anglican minister. In time an Anglican church was built across from the school and Cook's Creek was recognized as a parish with churchwardens and vestry by Bishop Machray on November 8th, 1887. Christ Church was consecrated by Bishop Machray on June 4th, 1899. The petition asking for the church's consecration describe it as 32 feet long and 20 feet wide with a porch 6 feet by 6 feet and further states that it was built with the help of a grant (£39) from the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge. In 1912 the Synod Journal reports that consent was granted to remove the Cook's Creek church to Hazelridge. The entries Hazelridge, Christ Church, and Cook's Creek, Christ Church, appear in the Synod Reports/Journals for a few years afterwards and then vanish. The church was probably gone before the First World War and the 1932 Synod Journal reports that the Cook's Creek Trust was transferred to the Church Endowment Fund.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocesan Archives in 2002.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of one file folder containing canonical documents. Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Lower Vault

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: Registers of Transcona, St George's See also the Sacramental Registers of Transcona, St George (W.020) See also Springfield/Sunnyside/Oak Bank, St George (OW.090) and Springfield, St Margaret (OW.089)

Related materials

Accruals

None expected.

General note

Clergy List: See Synod Journals and Springfield, St Margaret (OW.089).

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres