Item 10 - Construction of Hanbury Lumber Company

Open original digital objects

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Construction of Hanbury Lumber Company

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description



Reference code

CA DHM 1978.14-10

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph: b/w, 30 x 35 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Biographical history

Frank Henry Gowen was born on November 1, 1877 in Wiltshire County, England. He apprenticed with a photographer in London before immigrating to Manitoba. Around 1905, he opened a photographic studio in Brandon, Manitoba while working with other photographers in Brandon, including Bryant’s Studio and Davidson Brothers. By 1911, Gowen was also operating a branch at Wawanesa, Manitoba. During his last two years in Brandon, he worked in partnership with Alexander Davidson at Davidson & Gowen. Around 1913, he moved to Vancouver, British Columbia and continued to work as a photographer until he retired in November 1945. Gowen died in Vancouver, British Columbia on February 3, 1946.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Photograph of the construction crew building Hanbury Lumber Company at 7th Street and Princess Avenue in 1902.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by the Assiniboine Historical Society in 1978.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Negative Available at the Daly House Museum.

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Researchers are responsible for copyright requirements.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


General note

John Hanbury moved to Brandon in 1882 and began working as a builder and contractor. In 1892 he started a business manufacturing doors and windows. In 1898, he purchased the Assiniboine Lumber Company's mill in Brandon. By 1901, he had established the Manitoba Hardware and Lumber Company, which employed about 200 workers.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier


Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


digital objects (Master) rights area

digital objects (Reference) rights area

digital objects (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres