Fonds BA-501; Microfilm: R47, R48, R49. - Coaldale Mennonite Brethren Church, Coaldale, Alberta fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Coaldale Mennonite Brethren Church, Coaldale, Alberta fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CMBS BA-501; Microfilm: R47, R48, R49.

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1926-1999 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

24.5 cm of textual records
3 microfilm reels

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Mennonite immigrants from Russia settled in the Coaldale area in the 1920s. A congregation was organized in 1926 with 21 charter members. They met on farms and then in rented facilities. In 1929 they completed their own meeting house. Two additions were added with 3 years. In 1939 the membership had reached 433 and a new meeting house was constructed near the town. This building is now a community museum. In 1971 a new meeting house was constructed on a town site. The congregation also founded their own Saturday German school (1927-1971). In 1928 the congregation formed the Coaldale Mennonite Health Society. The congregation operated the Coaldale Bible School (1929-1961). In 1934 they helped found the Coaldale Hospital. They were instrumental in operating the Alberta Mennonite High School (1946-1964). The congregation sponsored the radio programmes called "Gospel Bells" (1952-1968) and "Brot des Lebens" (1960-1973). The leaders of the congregation were: Klaas Enns (1926), Franz Friesen (1926-1928), Benjamin B. Janz (1928-1948), Peter B. Epp (1948), Jacob Siemens (1948-1956), David Pankratz (1956-1973), John Dueck (1973-1974), Rudy Heidebrecht (1974-1996), Randy Klassen (1997), Henry Willms (1998), Lorne Willms (1999- ).

Custodial history

Records were transferred to the Centre for M.B. Studies archives in Winnipeg, Manitoba on a regular basis to 1999. Some records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.

Scope and content

This fonds consists 12 series. Financial records, Coaldale Gem of the West, Alberta Mennonite Brethren Missions, Coaldale Mennonite Brethren church yearbooks and annual reports, church records index, Coaldale Mennonite Brethren Church directories, Church Anniversaries, Coaldale Mennonite Brethren Church revisited, Church bulletins, Church registers, and Church minutes.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions to access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series description and a file list is available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Language of material note

Much German.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres