Fonds OW.017 - Cloverdale, St Matthew fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Cloverdale, St Matthew fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.017

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1905-1996 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

2 cm textual material
Still images
Microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

St Matthew, Cloverdale was officially formed as a parish on 7 March 1905. The congregation worshipped in the Cloverdale School House before the church was built. James Anderson donated an acre of land and work began in the fall of 1904. The first service was held in the new church on 19 April 1905. In 1922, John Sutherland donated land for a parish hall. The hall was built in 1923 and officially opened 3 October 1923. Also that year, a cemetery was organized. St Matthew has always received service from St Andrew's on the Red. In the late 1960s, St Matthew's Vestry amalgamated with St Andrew's. St Matthew's has a representative on St Andrew's Vestry. The church was placed on a new foundation in 1956 and in 1990, the wishbone windows were replaced with single panes. The hall was last used in 1977. The hall was eventually torn down and the land reverted back to the donor family. Since 1970, services have only been held in the summer months, and current practice is to hold service every third Sunday, beginning in April until winter sets in. St Matthew's is renowned for its picnics and still holds an annual picnic every July.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocese in 1984

Scope and content

The records of St Matthew held at the Diocese include Canonical Documents (1905-1906); Titles (1905); Burial Records; A parish history (1980); still images (1954-1996); Research file.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

All files are located in the Upper Vault. Still images are filed by title and held in the Still Images Collection.

Availability of other formats

Parish Registers are also available on microfilm reel #10.

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish Registers is limited to Archives staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See also the Parish Registers of St. Andrew's, St Andrew on the Red (OW.091) for Baptisms, Marriages and Burials. See also A History of St Matthew's Church and the Cloverdale Area: 75th Anniversary, 1905-1980

Associated material: Burial Records of the St Matthew's Anglican Cemetery are also held at the Manitoba Genealogical Society.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres