Series 33 - Playgrounds Commission, City of Winnipeg (1874-1971).

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Playgrounds Commission, City of Winnipeg (1874-1971).

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA COWA 1-33

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1908 - 1919 (Creation)
    City of Winnipeg (1874-1971), Playgrounds Commission.
  • 1874 - 1971 (Creation)
    City of Winnipeg (1874-1971)

Physical description area

Physical description

7 cm. Textual Records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator


Administrative history

The first public playground in Winnipeg was opened in 1908 by the Committee on Public Playgrounds for Winnipeg, the members of which had been appointed at a citizens meeting on May 28, 1908: Mrs. J. Dick, Mrs. Dr. Sparling, J. Dyson, J. S. Woodsworth, J. W. McMillan, John Appleton, H. R. Hadcock, E. L. Drewry and H. E. Wilson. This committee solicited private funds for a demonstration project to be operated in conjunction with the Mother’s Association through the summer of that year. By the fall of 1908, the Committee on Public Playgrounds for Winnipeg had become the Playgrounds Association of the City of Winnipeg, reflecting a broad trend in North America and their connection with the American Playgrounds Association. In 1909, the Association met with the City of Winnipeg’s Board of Control to propose creation of a commission to manage a system of playgrounds for the city. The Board of Control supported the proposal and the Playgrounds Commission was organized in 1909 under By-Law 5557 with an appropriation of $4000. The Playgrounds Commission managed playgrounds until 1919 when its powers were transferred to the Public Parks Board through By-Law 9835.

Custodial history

City Clerk’s Department.

Scope and content

Forms part of Fonds 1. The series consists of minutes and financial records of the Committee on Public Playgrounds for Winnipeg, the Playgrounds Association of the City of Winnipeg and the Playgrounds Commission as well as minutes for various special or sub-committees formed to undertake specific tasks. The minutes are in chronological order.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

A999, Files 1-11.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access to these records. Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright regulations.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available in Research Room.

Associated materials

Council, Minutes, City of Winnipeg (1874-1971)
Council, By-Laws, City of Winnipeg (1874-1971)
Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation, City of Winnipeg (1874-1971)

Related materials


No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres