Title and statement of responsibility area
City of Brandon Collection
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Textual record
- Records in Electronic Form
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1882 – 1989 (Creation)
- The City of Brandon
Physical description area
18 framed documents
1 framed dish
1 CD ROM
4cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
From 1793 to 1832, in the area that would become the City of Brandon, there were three Hudson's Bay Company posts called Brandon House. The first permanent European settlements in the area appeared in 1870. These settlers were primarily farmers from Eastern Canada, Britain, and the United States. Brandon, Manitoba was officially incorporated as a city on May 30th, 1882. It is located on the Assiniboine River 197 kilometres west of Winnipeg. Agriculture, especially wheat farming, has always been one of the most important components of Brandon's economy. As Manitoba's second largest city and a divisional point for the Canadian Pacific Railway, Brandon was also a central location for trade and business in Western Canada.
The material in this collection was donated to Brandon Museum Inc. by the City of Brandon between 1977 and 1987, and in 2003. No specific donor from the City of Brandon is named for the donations between 1977 and 1987. Materials are presumably from City of Brandon establishments. The material donated in 2003 was given to Brandon Museum Inc. by the mayor’s secretary, Judy Whittingham. These items came from Brandon City Hall. All items from the City of Brandon Collection are now housed at the Daly House Museum.
Scope and content
The collection is made up of material accumulated by the City of Brandon and pertains primarily to the city's infrastructure. The majority of the collection consists of photographs. Also included are prints, one painting, and drawings. There are photographs of businesses, city streets, significant buildings, parks, sports teams, and important people. Significant buildings include hotels, stores, schools, the old City Hall, the fire hall, and the Court House. Important individuals in these photographs include mayors of Brandon, members of the British Royal family, and multiple Governor Generals of Canada. There are also photographs of groups such as the fire department, the police department, city councils, and other citizen organizations. Along with the photographs there is a disc containing digital copies for the pictures of Brandon's mayors. There are a number of framed documents included in this collection. These include certificates, proclamations, and awards of merit presented to the City of Brandon. Also found in this collection are two guest books from Manitoba's Centennial celebration, city plaques, and sketches for city planning. There is one commemorative dish held in a frame, picturing the old city hall and opera house. Each item in the collection in described in further detail at the individual level.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Framed photographs and documents are located on the third floor of Daly House in the file room.
Other oversized photographs and documents are stored in the 3FM cabinet on the north wall of the third floor main room.
Items from file folder #1 and file folder 2003-007 are stored in a box on shelf four of the middle shelving unit of the main room on the third floor.
More Specific locations are given for each individual item.
Object identification numbers begin with: 1977.1, 1978.1, 1980.1, 1984.1, 1986.1, 1987.1 and 2003.7