The City of Brandon

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

The City of Brandon

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

CA DHM

Description area

Dates of existence

1882 - present

History

From 1793 to 1832, in the area that would become the City of Brandon, there were three Hudson's Bay Company posts called Brandon House. The first permanent European settlements in the area appeared in 1870. These settlers were primarily farmers from Eastern Canada, Britain, and the United States. Brandon, Manitoba was officially incorporated as a city on May 30th, 1882. It is located on the Assiniboine River 197 kilometres west of Winnipeg. Agriculture, especially wheat farming, has always been one of the most important components of Brandon's economy. As Manitoba's second largest city and a divisional point for the Canadian Pacific Railway, Brandon was also a central location for trade and business in Western Canada.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

DHM

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC