Title and statement of responsibility area
Charleswood United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA 90-16; 91-11
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
2m textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Charleswood United Church has existed in Winnipeg since 1925. The predecessor of the Charleswood United Church was a Methodist mission and the Charleswood Union Church. The mission was organized in 1912 and eventually adopted the name 'Charleswood Union Church' in 1922. Early services of the mission and church were held in private homes, a tent and the Charleswood public school. Charleswood Union Church was part of a union circuit with St. Charles. In 1925, Charleswood Union Church joined the United Church of Canada, becoming Charleswood United Church. In 1933, the congregation constructed their first permanent church structure and joined in a four-point charge with Sturgeon Creek, St. Charles and Headingley under the name of 'Sturgeon Creek Pastoral Charge'. The minister of Sturgeon Creek United Church traveled to each church every Sunday. By 1953, the Sunday School group of Charleswood United had grown too large for the church and began conducting services in the Varsity View Community Club. In 1953, Charleswood United Church became a self-supporting charge, and in 1957 the congregation erected a new church. Charleswood United Church is located at 4820 Roblin Boulevard.
The records of Charleswood United Church came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwest Ontario as part of three transfers of records between 1990 and 1997.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Charleswood United Church are arranged in the following series: Sacramental Registers, pertaining to Baptisms, 1929-1987, Marriages, 1955-1987, and Burials, 1930-1987; Membership Rolls and records of the Session, including communion rolls and registers and minutes, 1950-1968; records of the Official Board, including minutes and correspondence, 1944-1978; records pertaining to Christian Education, including minutes, 1961-1979; records of the Church Council, including minutes, 1969-1986; records pertaining to the Board of Stewards/Trustees and church property, including minutes and correspondence, 1946-1960; records of the following Committees: Finance and Stewardship, 1959-1983; Worship, 1981-1985; and Congregational Life and Planning, 1955-1988; records of lay associations, including the Women's Association and United Church Women, 1933-1977; and reference material, including a church history .
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and item level inventory available.
Related material: See the records of the Sturgeon Creek Pastoral Charge for Sacramental Registers containing entries from the Charleswood United Church dating from 1933.
Further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg Presbytery (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description