Collection 2009.4 - Chapman Museum

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Chapman Museum

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description



Reference code

CA DHM 2009.4

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • c.1890-1950 (Creation)
    Chapman Museum

Physical description area

Physical description

33.2 cm of textual records
12 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1967 -)

Administrative history

The Chapman Museum was established in 1967 by Albert and Harriet Chapman. Albert Chapman (1918-2013) was a farmer and municipal officer. He was a Councillor and Reeve of the Rural Municipality of Daly for 42 years. From 1974 to 1979 he was the President of the Union of Manitoba Municipalities. Albert also served on the local school board, hospital board, and Manitoba Municipal Board. He was inducted into Manitoba’s Agricultural Hall of Fame in 2002 and received the Manitoba Cenntenial Medal in 1970, as well as the 125 Commemorative Award in 1993. In 1941, Albert Chapman married Harriet McDonald (1918-1979). Along with running the family farm with her husband, Harriet Chapman was also an active member of the community. She was a member of the Roseville ACW and Kirkham’s Bridge WI. The idea to open a museum began with the Chapman’s collection of antique crockery jugs acquired in the 1960s. For Canada’s Centennial in 1967, they created a display in their empty bunkhouse. As they acquired more items from auction sales and community donations, the original display grew into what is today the Chapman Museum. The museum is located northwest of Brandon near the town of Rivers and is a designated heritage site. It is comprised of sixteen separate historic buildings. The buildings include stores, railway buildings, residences, school buildings, and pioneer houses. These are all original buildings from southwestern Manitoba. They are arranged as a village, allowing guests to view how towns in the area appeared over one hundred years ago. The museum is now operated by the Chapman’s daughter and son-in-law, Lois and Gordon Allen.

Custodial history

The Chapman Museum donated this collection to the Daly House Museum in 2009. The items were collected by Albert and Harriet Chapman. They began collecting artifacts in the 1960s, attending auctions and receiving items from different community members for their museum. Further details on the custodial history of individual items is otherwise unknown.

Scope and content

The collection contains records pertaining to early life in the Brandon area (c.1890-1950). The majority of the records are from local businesses in Brandon. Records pertaining to local businesses include receipt books, price booklets, advertisements, invoices, order forms, business cards, a ledger book, rent records, and patent certificates. There are two reports on the Rural Municipality of Daly: "List of Electors" and "Auditor's Report." There is also a small number of household items. Among the household items, there is a Gaelic Bible, a book of religious stories, a sewing book, a songbook, and vehicle registration cards. Also in the collection are eleven photographs of Brandon area businesses, residents, and events.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Items are arranged in numerical order. There are detailed item level descriptions for each.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

The collection includes item numbers:
1, 3, 4, 6 - 20, 22 - 37, 40 - 50, 64, 71, 72, 105 - 107, 109, 113 -131

The majority of the items are located in the file room of the Magnacca Research Centre in cabinet 3, drawer 4. The locations for items 10, 3, 10, 49, 50, 130 are listed at their item level descriptions.

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

CA DHM 2009.4

Institution identifier


Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

physical storage

  • Box: DHM TFMR