Title and statement of responsibility area
Chalmers United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA 78-30; 97-11
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1.5m textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Chalmers United Church existed in Winnipeg from 1925 until 1977. The predecessor of Chalmers United Church was the Clifton Street Church (c.1907). In 1915, the small Presbyterian Church on Clifton Street was renovated and the name was changed from Clifton Street Church to Chalmers Church. Chalmers Church was partially destroyed by fire in 1918 and the damaged portion was restored. The Presbyterian congregation of Chalmers joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. In 1928, Rev. A.B. Baird laid the foundation stone for a new church structure on Spruce Street and Barret Avenue. The first service in the new Chalmers United Church was held on September 30, 1928. Chalmers United Church amalgamated with Greenwood United Church in 1977, becoming McClure United Church.
The records of Chalmers United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part three transfers of records between 1978 and 2001.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Chalmers United Church are arranged in the following series: Sacramental Registers, pertaining to Baptisms, 1908-1978, Marriages, 1908-1978, and Burials, 1908-1969; records of the Session, including minutes, 1907-1975; records of the Board of Managers and the Joint Board, including minutes, 1916- 1972; records pertaining to Christian Education, including rolls/attendance records, 1939-1944; records of Annual Congregational Meetings and Annual Reports, 1915-1977; records pertaining to the Board of Stewards and church property, including minutes and financial records, 1921-1982; records of lay associations, including the Women's Missionary Society, Women's Association, and United Church Women, 1935-1973; and reference material, including correspondence and orders of service.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and item level inventory available.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg Presbytery (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description