Fonds Volume 350, microfilm reels 60 & 61 - Central Heights Church Fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Central Heights Church Fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CMBS Volume 350, microfilm reels 60 & 61

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1930-2004 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

18 cm of textual records
1 photo
2 microfilm reels

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Between the years 1930 and 1949, many Mennonites settled on small farms in the Fraser Valley area. At this time, the South Abbotsford Mennonite Brethren Church was established. By the end of the 1940s, however, membership at South Abbotsford increased to over 500, and the existing building allowed little room for additional growth. To solve this problem, two options were considered: one, build a bigger church, and, two, divide existing members into two distinct churches. Eventually, members settled on option two, establishing a daughter church, which was then called the Abbotsford Mennonite Brethren Church, later named Central Heights MB Church (1966), and, subsequently, Central Heights Church (1991). Organization of the new church took place in January of 1950, when 197 members transferred from South Abbotsford to the new congregation. Jacob Martens and Henry Krahn planned the new building. Land was acquired from Henry Hooge and in the summer of 1949 construction began. Since then, the church increased in number continually, and in April 1981, the congregation decided that it was time to buy additional land for a new sanctuary. Construction of a 1578 seat sanctuary began on March 1, 1985. Over the years the church has been served by the following pastors: Henry H. Nikkel (1950–1960), Abram H. Wieler (1960–1962), Nick J. Dyck (1962–1973, 1989), Rudy Boschman (1973–1985), Herb Neufeld (1986–1988), Al McVety (1990), Peter Unrau (1991–1996), and Christopher Douglas (1998– ).

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds consists of annual reports; congregational and church council meeting minutes; membership, marriage and family registers; bulletins; a church directory (1993); and a 40th anniversary book 1950–2000.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

no restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

finding aid consists of a file list

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres