Fonds 8-1997 - Carol Paintin-Dence fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Carol Paintin-Dence fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MCK 8-1997

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1961-1964 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Brandon College was established by the Baptist Union of Western Canada in 1899. Classes commenced in the Fraser Block on Rosser Avenue on October 2, 1899. Construction of the original College building began in 1900; classes commenced in the new College building October 1901. Brandon College was incorporated under provincial statutes in June 1900. The College included a men's residence, a dining room, kitchen, science laboratory, reception room, office, library and nine classrooms. Originally, it possessed the following departments: Academic (for students completing matriculation), Arts, Theology, and Business and Stenographic Department. In 1905, plans commenced for the building of a women's residence to adjacent to the original Brandon College building. Clark Hall was completed in 1906. Brandon College affiliated with McMaster University after several unsuccessful attempts to acquire a university charter from the Province of Manitoba. In 1938, the Baptist Union of Western Canada withdrew financial support from the College. In order to continue to operate, Brandon College was transformed into a non-denominational college affiliated with the University of Manitoba. Brandon College became Brandon University in 1967 through an order in council approved by the Progressive Conservative government of Duff Roblin.

Custodial history

This fonds was accessioned in 1997 by the McKee Archives. Prior custodial history is unknown.

Scope and content

The fonds contains a collection of Brandon College memorabilia including programs from various Brandon College Student Association events such as a mock parliament, newpaper stories concerning international students at Brandon College, copies of Brandon College Alumni News, and a copy of "The New Brandon College School of Music" written by Ms. Peggy Sharpe, a faculty member in the School of Music. The fonds also contains items dealing with Ms. Paintin-Dence's involvement with the Brandon College Glee Club.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

None

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright restrictions.

Finding aids

N/A as of May 2001.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres