Title and statement of responsibility area
Carman Methodist Circuit fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 85-1
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1 volume textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Carman Methodist circuit was part of the Wesley Methodist Church in Carman, Manitoba. The Wesley Methodist Church was established in roughly 1880 and lasted until 1925 when Wesley Methodist joined the United Church of Canada to become Wesley United Church. In 1879, Rev. Frank Warne arrived in Carman, then known as the Boyne Settlement, and became its first resident minister. The first service was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Laidlaw, where Rev. and Mrs. Warne were boarding. Preaching points on the Carman Methodist Circuit included, Carman, Sperling, Elm Creek, Treherne, Holland, Cyprus River, Glenboro and Stockton. A church was built on the west side of Willard Avenue in the block south of Main Street during the mid 1880s. A second church was dedicated in June 1892, but the original church remained standing until it was demolished around 1924. The second church was destroyed by fire on October 3, 1905, after which services were temporarily held in the Opera Hall, and then later in Victoria Hall. The cornerstone of the third church was laid on July 28, 1906 by Rev. J.W. Sparling and opened January 18, 1907. In 1925, the Wesley Methodist Church joined the United Church of Canada and became Wesley United Church.
The records of Carman Methodist Circuit came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records in January 1985 from the Oakville-Elm Creek Pastoral charge.
Scope and content
The records of Carman Methodist Circuit include a Sunday School register (1915-1918) and one photograph of the church (undated).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the Wesley United Church and Carman United Church fonds for other material pertaining to Wesley Methodist Church. The Carman Pastoral charge and Crossroads Pastoral charge have fonds descriptions for Wesley Methodist Church. See also the Methodist records of the Boyne Settlement described as part of the Pembina Parish fonds.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description