Fonds Vols. 24, 2006, 2270, 2310, 2823, 3809; Microfilm # 203, 435. - Carman Mennonite Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Carman Mennonite Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MHCA Vols. 24, 2006, 2270, 2310, 2823, 3809; Microfilm # 203, 435.

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1945-2000 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

52 cm of textual records
2 microfilm reels

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The congregation in Carman had an ambiguous beginning; ambiguous in the sense of a tug between local autonomy and central authority. The central authority was both from the Bergthaler Lehrdienst in Manitoba and the Home Mission Board and staff of the Canadian conference. Mennonite families had settled in the Carman area after the immigration movement in the 1920s. During the 1930s some attempts were made by the Mennonite families to worship together. However, attempts to find a meeting house were stymied in part because of this tension between local and central authority. A group was officially organized as a Bergthaler group in 1945 and in 1954 it became a congregation. During these years a meeting house was completed and leadership was provided by the Bergthaler Lehrdienst and the Home Mission Board. Until 1953 it was still considered a mission station of the Canadian conference. When it became a congregation it was known as the Graysville-Carman congregation. The leaders of the Graysville part of the group were Franz Letkemann and J. Janzen. Only in 1962 is it referred to as the Carman Bergthaler Mennonite Church. A larger meeting house was completed in 1982. The leaders of the congregation were: Henry Funk (1949-1954), Frank Thiessen (1956-1958), Daniel Doell (1960-1963), Alfred Heinrichs (1963-1964), Henry Isaak (1965-1971), David Klassen (1972-1973, 1979, 1982), David Friesen (1974-1978), Ed Pries (1980-1981), John Krahn (1983-1991), Cornie Thiessen (1992), Marvin Friesen (1993-1996), Dave Wilson (1997-2000), Bob Pauls (2000- ).

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds consists of bulletins, minutes, annual reports, membership lists, and directories which pertain to the history of a Bergthaler Mennonite congregation in Carman. Further, it documents who the leaders and participants were in this congregation. This fonds contains congregational bulletins (1965-2000), financial records (1983-1997), church council meeting minutes (1984-2000), congregational meeting minutes (1945-1959, 1973-1997), annual reports (1973-1997) [some congregational meetings prior to 1973 could be considered annual meeting minutes which had reports referred to or attached], membership lists (1968-1997), and other miscellaneous documents.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Inventory file list available.

Online version of finding aid available at: http://www.mennonitechurch.ca/programs/archives/holdings/MB/MB_CarmanMC.htm

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Edition

Some records were microfilmed in 1980 and 1985. Other records were deposited on a regular basis in the Mennonite Heritage Centre. Described by Bert Friesen 21 November 2001.

Language of material note

Some German.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres