Title and statement of responsibility area
CARBERRY UNITED GRAIN GROWERS fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA CPA 1988.65, 1988.73, 1990.141, 1991.17
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
4 pp. of textual records. â 1 photograph. â 3 volumes
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Carberry United Grain Growers Local 178 was founded in 1917 as a farmer-owned and farmer-managed co-operative grain handling organization. It closed in 1978. It sold primarily farm supplies, chemicals, machinery, and coal. The Reliance Grain Company built an elevator in 1938 that was bought by the Carberry U.G.G. in 1948. The group was also called the Arizona Local 178 between 1921 and 1939 when it was named the Fairview-Carberry Local 178. By 1959 this grew to divide into the Carberry Local 558 and the Fairview Local . In1924 the U.G.G. had purchased the Fairview elevator (1903-1975). The United Grain Growers parent organisation was founded in 1906 to provide farmers with their own grain handling organization. Predecessors were the Territorial Grain Growers Association formed in 1902, followed by the Manitoba Grain Growers Association in 1903. Out of these arose the Grain Growers' Grain Company in western Canada which led to the creation of the U.G.G. In 1912 the U.G.G. leased 174 elevators from the Manitoba Government. In 1917 the U.G.G. and the Alberta Farmers' Co-operative Elevator Company Limited (inc. 1913) amalgamated. In 1961 the U.G.G. purchased the Canada West Grain Company. It is now affiliated with Agricor.
Records have been presented to the Carberry Plains Archives in 1988 the Carberry Plains Museum, in 1990 by Art Sear of Carberry, and in 1991 by the Town of Carberry.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of a short history of the Carberry U.G.G. written by D. H. Fraser on a date unknown, a pencil drawing of the elevator and surrounding buildings (1940), minute books of the Carberry and Fairview Locals. Colour photograph shows the Carberry elevator (1983) which is signed G. W. Moore au verso.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access to these records.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright restrictions.
Finding aid available.
Related material: Wellwood United Grain Growers fonds, Manitoba Crop Diversification Centre fonds
Associated material: University of Manitoba Archives and Special Collections
Additional materials are not expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description