Title and statement of responsibility area
CARBERRY SCHOOL collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA CPA 1988.69, 1988.111, 1988.223, 1988.251, 1989.27, 1990.27, 1990.30, 1990.43, 1991.06, 1996.20, 1999.06, 2006.04, 2008.15
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1.3 m of textual records. â" 5 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Carberry School #125 was founded in [ca. 1879] at De Winton, Manitoba to provide educational services to children of the Carberry, Manitoba area. Due to increased enrollment, a new school was built in 1888 in Carberry. In 1896 a larger school was created. In 1905 high school classes were added, and in 1954 Carberry Collegiate Institute took over this responsibility. Carberry School was renamed R. J. Waugh School in 1965 for Grades One to Six. It has also been known as Carberry Union School during undetermined dates. Further information is available in "Carberry Plains: Century One".
Records have been presented to the Carberry Plains Archives in 1988 by Lottie McRae and by Josephine Lavery and by Evelyn Thompson of unknown places, and by the [Carberry Plains Museum]. In 1989 records were presented by the Beautiful Plains School Division of Carberry, Manitoba. Records were also presented in 1990 by Inga Elmhurst of Carberry, and in 1990, 1996, and 1999 by unknown persons. Records were presented in 1991 by R. J. Waugh Elementary School.Accession 2006.04 was presented in 2006 by Peter Kramarchuk of Carberry; Accession 2008.15 was presented in 2008 by George Walkey.
Scope and content
Collection consists of minutes (1895-1955,1954-1961, 1962-1968), cash books (1901-1913, 1962-1967), correspondence, daily attendance registers (1908-1958, missing 1909-1917), teacher agreements, Red Cross contributions, student transfer cards, By-laws and financial records (1895-1927), architectural drawings ([ca. 1900]), trustee lists, declaration papers, list of free texts, application for Principal (1914). Black and white photographs show science class (1906), the school and Grade One and Two students (1927), students and teacher ([ca. 1920]), Grade Three students (1919-1920), 50th Anniversary (1945) taken by John G. Crich. Registers are indexed for teachers and students. Accession 2006.04 is a minute book from 1954-1961. Accession 2008.15 consists of a six page pamphlet describing a School Field Day and Community Picnic to be held in June, 1937, and includes the program for the day, the prizes to be won, the timetable, and the various committees responsible for organization.
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order has been changed during archival arrangement.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access to these records.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright restrictions.
Finding aids available.
Related material: see Switzer Family fonds, Bruce McGregor fonds, Ruby Hood fonds
Associated material: Provincial Archives of Manitoba
Additional materials are not expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description