Title and statement of responsibility area
CARBERRY AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA CPA 1990.22, 1991.39, 1992.13, 1997.15, 1998.06
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
17.5 cm of textual records. â" 9 photographs. â" 10 books
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Carberry Agricultural Society was founded as the Norfolk Agricultural Society No. 1 in 1883 to promote agricultural and domestic achievements through its annual fair, and to provide training and social opportunities to settlers. It is still active. The annual fairs include educational and commercial displays on agriculture, athletic events, and crafts. The name change may have occurred as a result of moves to legally organize the group in 1894. The Society has assisted in the foundation of subsidiary clubs, such as the Garden Club. The Carberry Agricultural Society is affiliated with other agricultural societies in the province. It is governed by the Fair Board, the women of which have separate meetings to organize the majority of responsibilities. George "Laird" Hope was instrumental in its organization and was the first President. For two years the Fair was held on the grounds on the west side of Main Street, opposite the Public School. From 1885-1898 the Fair was held on the grounds north of 2nd Avenue and west of Elgin Street. In 1898 a move was made to Woodbine Park, which remains the present site. In 1897 the Fair was changed from fall to summer, and in 1902 there were both. No fairs were held in 1904, 1910, and 1933.
Records have been presented to the Carberry Plains Archives in 1990 by [the Carberry Town Office], in 1991 by William Witherspoon of Carberry, and in 1992 by the Carberry Agricultural Society. In 1997 John Baron presented minutes preserved by his mother, Barbara Baron who had been on the Fair Board. Records were presented in 1998 by unknown persons.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of annual reports (1973-1987), minute books for the Lady Directors (1961-1983), minutes (1905-1984), prize lists for this and the Gladstone Fair, poster for Fred Hadaller and his Alberta Cowgirls, correspondence, financial registers, entry book for fair (1932), scrap book for Carberry's 75th Anniversary (1959). Photographs include: 7 black and white photographs, 2 black and white negatives showing the Traveller's Day Parade (1959), directors of the Society, seniors honours, Carberry Fair (ca. 1926).
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order was changed during archival arrangement.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access to these records.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright restrictions.
Finding aid available.
Additional materials are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description