Title and statement of responsibility area
CAMP HUGHES, MANITOBA fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA CPA 1988.173, 1988.249, 1991.18, 1993.05, 2007.08, 2008.11
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1 booklet. -- 9 photographs
6 photocopied pages
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Camp Hughes was founded in 1909 to train militia in bombing, bayonet fighting, and physical combat. In 1915 military training for over 30,000 troops began for World War I, which led to the Camp's resemblance to a village. In 1916 the name was changed from Sewell to honour Sir Sam Hughes. Training responsibilities were moved to Shilo in 1934, although summer training had continued until then. It is located in the former village of Sewell, nine miles west of Carberry, Manitoba on the CPR main line. A military cemetery remains, and also the trench system constructed for training purposes.
Records have been presented to the Carberry Plains Archives in 1988 by the [Carberry Plains Museum], in 1991 by the Abram Brown family, and 1993 by persons unknown, and in 2007 by Frank Smale. The 1988.173 accession was transferred from the Carberry Plains Museum, after having been donated by Errol Berry of Carberry. Accession 1988.173 is located at the Carberry Plains Museum for display purposes. Accession 2008.11 was donated to the Archives by Audrey Harburn
Scope and content
Fonds consists of black and white photographs showing presentation of colours to the 100th Battalion (1916), the 203 Battalion C.E.F. (1916), "Ready For Active Service" booklet (1916), 44th Battalion (1915), men on horses (1912). Also one photograph of the CPR Section House at Camp Hughes taken by Frank Smale in 1937. Accession 2008.11 consists of 6 pages photocopied from the magazine Esprit de Corps, Vol 15, Issue 6, and is a description of Camp Sewell, the 44th Manitoba Battalion and the 46th South Saskatchewan Battalion (the Suicide Battalion) and their activities at Camp Sewell and in and around Carberry. The article was written by James L. McWilliams.
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order was changed during archival processing.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access to these records.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright restrictions.
Finding aid available.
Related material: See Camp Hughes School fonds
Associated material: See Artillery (RCA) Museum, in CFB Shilo, Manitoba; also the University of Saskatchewan Archives.
Additional materials are not expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description