Title and statement of responsibility area
Burnside United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 78 - 4
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1947 - 1959 (Creation)
Physical description area
1 volume textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Burnside United Church existed in the Manitoba community of Burnside, west of Portage la Prairie in the Rural Muncipality of Portage la Prairie, from 1925 to 1969. Its predecessor was a Local Union church formed between the congregations of Burnside Methodist Church and Burnside Presbyterian Church. The Presbyterian Church, built in 1910 on the centre of section 35 - 11 - 8, continued to be used as the United Church. The Methodist church was converted into a Hall. Rev. P.G. Langille was the first United minister. In 1929, Bagot joined the charge which already included Edwin and Elsmith. In 1932, Elsmith and Bagot went to the MacGregor charge, and Long Plain joined Burnside and Edwin. A new foundation was added to the church in 1952. The Pastoral charge comprised of Longburn, MacDonald, Burnside and Oakland in 1958. The congregations of Burnside and Edwin merged as 1 congregation in 1967, but ceased to exist as a congregation in 1969. Burnside United Church was sold in 1970 to Mr. J. Dack, and a cairn was placed on the site on October 3, 1976.
The records of Burnside United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from Portage - Trinity United Church in 1978.
Scope and content
The records held at the conference archives include records of the Woman's Missionary Society (1947-1959).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: For other material pertaining to Burnside United church, see the Boissevain, MacDonald and Rossendale Pastoral Charge fonds. There is also a separate description for Burnside United Church as part of the MacDonald Pastoral charge fonds.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description