Fonds OW.011 - Brant, St John fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Brant, St John fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.011

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1900-1964 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

6.0cm textual records
2 still images
Microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The first services in the Brant district were held in the Bruce Schoolhouse at the turn of the 20th century. St John's Church was built with the aid of a grant from the Societies in England in 1905 on land donated by Henry Last, and was consecrated by Archbishop S.P. Matheson on 19 December 1909. The parish itself, was officially formed on 30 June 1906. The church was closed between 1915 and 1924. During these years the congregation worshipped at either St Peter, Balmoral (OW.005) or All Saints, Victoria (OW.098). A new altar was dedicated in 1953. By 1984, only an annual summer service was held at Brant. The last annual worship service was held on 25 June 1995. While the former congregation maintained the church's appearance, the majority of the parishioners now attended the Church of Ascension in Stonewall (OW.092). In 2004, the congregation voted to disestablish their former parish and amalgamate with Stonewall. The service of deconsecration was held 25 April 2004. The church was then moved off site and converted to a private residence. A boulder with a plaque, dedicated to the memory and the spirit of the district's pioneers and settlers, was erected at the former church site. The church lands then reverted back to the Last family.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocesan Archives in 2002; 2017.

Scope and content

The records of St John, Brant held at the Diocesan Archives include: Canonical Documents (1926-1964); Titles (1904); Land Transfer (2008); Accounts 1905-15, 1906-34, 1924-42, 1935-61, 1946-56, 1965-20x12; Minute books 1906-1934, 1935-66; Minutes re Deconsecration; photos of plaque/cairn; Correspondence re: Sale of Building and Disposal of Memorials (2003); Minutes re Deconsecration; still images. Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

All files and bound volumes are held in the Lower Vault. Deed of Land is held in Oversize Storage. Still images are filed by title and are located in the Still Images - Rural Parishes Collections.

Availability of other formats

Microfilm, Reel #1, parish registers. Microfilm is not available for consultation or inter library loan.

Restrictions on access

None

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: See the Sacramental Registers of Stonewall, Church of the Ascension (OW.092), Stony Mountain, Christ Church (OW.093), and Woodlands, St George (OW.105) Also see the Jacob Anderson fonds; Maurice Hardman fonds

Related materials

Accruals

None

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres