Title and statement of responsibility area
Brant/ Argyle United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA 78 - 26; 2004 - 32
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1878 - 1998 (Creation)
Physical description area
1 folder, 9 volumes textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Brant / Argyle United Church has existed in the Manitoba community of Argyle, in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood, since 1925. Its predecessor was the Brant / Argyle Presbyterian Church built in 1881, which continued to be used after Union. In November 1925 the congregation began to hold church services in association with Warren United Church with Rev. D.B. Sparling officiating. The arrangement continued until 1929. The Argyle congregation alternated between the Warren and Balmoral Pastoral charges from 1929 to 1947. During those years, the services were held at the school in the winter months. In 1947, Brant / Argyle United Church worshipped with the Warren Pastoral charge, but then became part of the Stonewall Pastoral charge a year later. The Brant / Argyle church building was moved to #10 First Street in 1952. At the time of the move, various renovations were completed such as building a parlour at the back of the church and a new vestibule in the front, as well as a chancel and a small kitchen built later. A cairn was placed at the original site of the church in 1978. Brant / Argyle United Church amalgamated with Stonewall United Church in 2001, with occassional services still being held at Brant / Argyle Church.
The records of the Brant/ Argyle United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the Teulon Pastoral charge and from the Stonewall Pastoral charge in 2004.
Scope and content
The surviving records of the Brant/ Argyle Church include: a Communion roll and Register; Sacramental Registers pertaining to Baptisms (1964-1998), Marriages (1966-1998), and Burials (1964-2001); records of the Ladies Aid (1917-1918, 1934-1964); a membership list (1967); a Centennial Service Bulletin (1978); accounting records (1927-1961); records of the Session (1919-1945, 1957-1963); records of the Sunday School (1888-1896, 1932-1962, 1964-1968); orders of service (1978).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description