Fonds 13-2002 - Brandon Women's Musical Club fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Brandon Women's Musical Club fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MCK 13-2002

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1953-1965 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

10 cm textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Brandon Women's Musical Club was formed in 1945 by Miss Peggy Sharpe and Miss Hilda Smith. Together with a group of women from around Brandon, they managed to form a large club for, according to the club's constitution, "the study of vocal and instrumental music, literature and related arts and the encouragement of promising Junior Artists under eighteen years of age." With these goals in mind, the club undertook to provide tuition for young music students and contributed to the formation of the Brandon Women's Musical Choral Club. The club held meetings during which club members listened to guest speakers and observed performances by local musical and dance groups, as well as some national musical stars. The group also sponsored performances of musicals, plays, and recitals, and held an annual Christmas party.

Custodial history

This fonds was accessioned by the McKee Archives in 2002. Previous custodial history is unknown.

Scope and content

Fonds is composed predominantly of two scrapbooks, one of which covers the years 1953-1960, the other the years 1960-1965. The scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings about the Musical Club's meetings and performances. There is also a file containing miscellaneous correspondence, the constitution and bylaws of the group, the club's membership lists from 1959-1964, and questionnaires about the Women's Musical Club.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

McKee Archives, Brandon, MB

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

None

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

None

Finding aids

N/A as of February 2002

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Edition

This collection contains two scrapbooks.

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres