Collection 1986.347 - Brandon Sun Collection

Duck Hunt Assiniboine River Flood Prairie Chickens Hunting Party Brandon Gun Club Brandon Gun Club c.1910 Brandon Curling Club Jas. Robertson & Co. Hardware Empire Hotel Clear Grit Lacrosse Team
Results 1 to 10 of 25 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Brandon Sun Collection

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Collection

Repository

Reference code

CA DHM 1986.347

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1882-1967; predominantly 1882-1915 (Creation)
    Creator
    The Brandon Sun

Physical description area

Physical description

26 photographs and 1.5cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1982-present)

Administrative history

The Brandon Sun was established in 1882 by Will J. White. After White’s departure, the newspaper was operated by a board of directors until 1903, when the majority of its shares were purchased by J.B. Whitehead. J.B. Whitehead took full control of the paper in 1911 and ran it until his son, Ernest Christie Whitehead, took over in 1937. The Whitehead family owned and managed the Brandon Sun until 1987 when it was sold to Thompson Newspapers. As of 2001, the paper has been owned by FP Canadian Newspapers.

Custodial history

The material in this collection was donated to the Daly House Museum by the Brandon Sun in 1986. Prior custodial history is unknown.

Scope and content

The collection contains photographs, newspaper clippings, and a souvenir booklet pertaining to Brandon, Manitoba. Photographs include sports teams, local businesses, hunting activities, and photographs of or relating to local events. Also included is a photograph of the 1882 County Council of Brandon and an advertisement for the Canadian Portrait Co. in Oak Lake, Manitoba.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Researchers are responsible for copyright requirements.

Finding aids

Object IDs: 1986.347.1-28

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres