Title and statement of responsibility area
Brandon Museum Inc.
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Magnacca, Stephen Adolph
Physical description area
3.5 cm of textual documents, 2 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Stephan Adolph Magnacca was born on 10 December 1902 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He joined the Winnipeg Highland Cadets in 1914 and the Winnipeg Light Infantry in 1917. He received the rank of Lieutenant on 15 June 1923. In 1933, Magnacca was promoted to the rank of Major. He married Grace Rosina Jones in 1923. Stephen and Grace Magnacca had two children, a daughter Patricia and a son Allan. The family lived in Winnipeg until the 1940s when Magnacca military service took them to Brandon, Manitoba.
After he left military service, Magnacca started and was president of the Magnacca Real Estate Agencies in Brandon, Manitoba. He remained interested in military matters and was made an Honorary Lieutenant Colonel of the 26th Field Artillery Regiment in 1956. Eleven years later he was bestowed the rank of Honorary Colonel.
Magnacca was elected as Mayor of Brandon from 1961-1969. During this time period Magnacca was instrumental in the building of the Keystone Agricultural Center, the Western Manitoba Centennial Auditorium, the Brandon Airport Terminal, a new Civic Administration Center and many infrastructure upgrades within the City.
Magnacca was an active community member. He was involved with the Brandon Lion Club, Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 3, Brandon Progressive Conservative Association and the Canadian National Institute for the Blind. He was also active in preserving the community's heritage as president of the Assiniboine Historical Society and the Brandon Museum Inc. between 1973 and 1980. During this time, Magnacca was instrumental in the establishment of the Daly House Museum in 1976.
In recognition of his community service, Magnacca was awarded the Manitoba Golden Boy Award in 1969, the Order of Canada in 1973 and the Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal in 1977.
On 4 August 1980 at the age of seventy-seven, Stephen A. Magnacca passed away. After his death the archives at Daly House Museum was renamed the Magnacca Research Center in his honour.
Scope and content
This sub-series consist of records complied while S.A. Magnacca was president of Brandon Museum Inc. (Daly House Museum) between 1976-1980.
It is divided up into the following topics:
- Minutes and Correspondence
- Manitoba Regional Council Heritage Canada/AMM
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Daly House Museum (Subject)