Fonds 2002.15 - Brandon Lady Barbershoppers/Sweet Adelines, Brandon Chapter fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Brandon Lady Barbershoppers/Sweet Adelines, Brandon Chapter fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

CA DHM 2002.15

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

0.5 mm of textual documents
6 photographs

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1953 -1964)

Histoire administrative

Sweet Adelines International is an American-based independent music association for women singers, established in 1945 in Tulsa, Oklahoma, seven years following the launch of a similar organization for men. Members sing in four-part vocal harmony, known as "barbershop harmony," in quartets and in choruses. On November 30, 1952, 30 women in Brandon, Manitoba voted to apply for a charter, establishing the first Sweet Adelines chapter outside the United States. They received the charter on March 23, 1953 and began meeting twice per month. In 1955, the chapter renounced its affiliation in part because of a rule from U.S. headquarters that banned Blacks from joining. Other Canadian chapters lost members due to the rule, and in the U.S., a separate group--Harmony, Inc.--emerged that welcomed Black members. The renamed Brandon Lady Barbershoppers, an independent group, carried on with rehearsals and performances at local venues. By 1963, they were the Barbershop Belles/Brandon Barbershop Belles, and in 1975, with only 19 members, they again took the lead in affiliating with Harmony, Inc. As of 2023, they are still the only chapter of Harmony Inc. in Western Canada. In 1999, they changed their name to Women in Harmony. The group remains active.

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

The fonds consists of the constitution, membership lists, attendance lists, and six photographs related to the activities of the Brandon Lady Barbershoppers and other choirs.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Donated by Barry Green in 2002.

Classement

The fonds is arranged at the item level based on provenance

Langue des documents

  • anglais

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

File list is available by contacting Daly House Museum

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Note générale

The first officers of the Sweet Adelines, Brandon Chapter in 1953 were: Mrs. G.H. Streuber (President), Miss Dorothy Brown (Vice-President), Mrs. S. Anderson (Secretary), and Miss Evelyn Hicks (Treasurer). Executive board members: Mrs. D. Smalley, Mrs. S.J. Higgins, and Mrs. H. Neilson. In 1954, there was no change in the slate of officers, but board directors consisted of Shirley Strang, Mrs. B. Cooper, and Mrs. C. Sim. Mr. R.J. (Bert) Gillespie, from Boissevain, Manitoba, served as chorus director.

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Revised by Eva Janssen in July 2023.

Langue de la description

  • anglais

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Brandon Daily Sun, November 13, 1952; November 4, 1953; November 28, 1959; March 15, 1963
Brandon Sun, April 21, 1975

Zone des entrées

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

conservation matérielle

  • Classeur: DHM TFFR