Fonds 2002.15 - Brandon Lady Barbershoppers/Sweet Adelines, Brandon Chapter fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Brandon Lady Barbershoppers/Sweet Adelines, Brandon Chapter fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Brandon Barbershop Belles; Women in Harmony

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

CA DHM 2002.15

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

0.5 mm of textual documents
6 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1953 -1964)

Administrative history

Sweet Adelines International is an American-based independent music association for women singers, established in 1945 in Tulsa, Oklahoma, seven years following the launch of a similar organization for men. Members sing in four-part vocal harmony, known as "barbershop harmony," in quartets and in choruses. On November 30, 1952, 30 women in Brandon, Manitoba voted to apply for a charter, establishing the first Sweet Adelines chapter outside the United States. They received the charter on March 23, 1953 and began meeting twice per month. In 1955, the chapter renounced its affiliation in part because of a rule from U.S. headquarters that banned Blacks from joining. Other Canadian chapters lost members due to the rule, and in the U.S., a separate group--Harmony, Inc.--emerged that welcomed Black members. The renamed Brandon Lady Barbershoppers, an independent group, carried on with rehearsals and performances at local venues. By 1963, they were the Barbershop Belles/Brandon Barbershop Belles, and in 1975, with only 19 members, they again took the lead in affiliating with Harmony, Inc. As of 2023, they are still the only chapter of Harmony Inc. in Western Canada. In 1999, they changed their name to Women in Harmony. The group remains active.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of the constitution, membership lists, attendance lists, and six photographs related to the activities of the Brandon Lady Barbershoppers and other choirs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by Barry Green in 2002.

Arrangement

The fonds is arranged at the item level based on provenance

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list is available by contacting Daly House Museum

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

The first officers of the Sweet Adelines, Brandon Chapter in 1953 were: Mrs. G.H. Streuber (President), Miss Dorothy Brown (Vice-President), Mrs. S. Anderson (Secretary), and Miss Evelyn Hicks (Treasurer). Executive board members: Mrs. D. Smalley, Mrs. S.J. Higgins, and Mrs. H. Neilson. In 1954, there was no change in the slate of officers, but board directors consisted of Shirley Strang, Mrs. B. Cooper, and Mrs. C. Sim. Mr. R.J. (Bert) Gillespie, from Boissevain, Manitoba, served as chorus director.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised by Eva Janssen in July 2023.

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Brandon Daily Sun, November 13, 1952; November 4, 1953; November 28, 1959; March 15, 1963
Brandon Sun, April 21, 1975

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

physical storage

  • Filing cabinet: DHM TFFR