Knox United Church (Brandon)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Knox United Church (Brandon)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


Knox United Church has existed in the Manitoba city of Brandon since 1925. Its predecessors were the Victoria Avenue Methodist Church and Knox Presbyterian Church. Knox United Church was known as the "south church" at that time. Rev. R.H. Lowry was the officiant. In 1933, Knox United amalgamated with the "north church," the Victoria Avenue United Church. Services were held at both churches until 1938, when extensive repairs needed at both churches forced the congregation to make the decision to retain the north church and sell the south church. It was sold to Tony Smith in 1939 and has since been demolished. Once the move was officially made, the Victoria Avenue United Church was renamed Knox United Church and continued to be used until a new church was built in 1956. The new Knox United Church, located on 18th Street and Victoria Avenue, was officially opened on April 15, 1956 with The Rev. J.T. Horricks, chairman of Brandon Presbytery, presiding. The old church building was sold to a Christian Reformed congregation. Knox United Church, Brandon, is part of Assiniboine Presbytery.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places