Fonds Acc: 78 - 14; 2003 - 11 - Brandon - Knox United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Brandon - Knox United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Acc: 78 - 14; 2003 - 11

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1920 - 1996 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

3.2 m textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Knox United Church has existed in the Manitoba city of Brandon since 1925. Its predecessors were the Victoria Avenue Methodist Church and Knox Presbyterian Church. Knox United Church was known as the "south church" at that time. Rev. R.H. Lowry was the officiant. In 1933, Knox United amalgamated with the "north church," the Victoria Avenue United Church. Services were held at both churches until 1938, when extensive repairs needed at both churches forced the congregation to make the decision to retain the north church and sell the south church. It was sold to Tony Smith in 1939 and has since been demolished. Once the move was officially made, the Victoria Avenue United Church was renamed Knox United Church and continued to be used until a new church was built in 1956. The new Knox United Church, located on 18th Street and Victoria Avenue, was officially opened on April 15, 1956 with The Rev. J.T. Horricks, chairman of Brandon Presbytery, presiding. The old church building was sold to a Christian Reformed congregation. Knox United Church, Brandon, is part of Assiniboine Presbytery.

Custodial history

The records of Brandon - Knox United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records in 1978 and 2001.

Scope and content

The surviving records of Brandon - Knox United Church include: Sacramental Registers pertaining to Baptisms (1937-1980), Marriages (1927-1931, 1938-1996), and Burials (1937-1996); Communion Rolls (1922-1963); records of the Congregational Secretary (1930-1947); records of the Session (1952-1967); records of the Board of Stewards (1964-1966); records of the Envelope Secretary (1925-1933, 1945-1957); records of the Sunday School, including attendance and Offering Reports (1930, 1939-1941), and attendance (1926-1927); records of the Treasurer (1920-1962); records of the Building Committee (1951-1956); records of the United Church Women (U.C.W.), including a revised constitution (1966), minutes and Annual Reports (1955-1972), programming (1965), membership lists (1956-1969), Minaki Conference for Women (1965), "Clip Sheets" (1963-1971), and minutes (1962-1967); records of the Ladies Bible Class (1921-1925); records of the Brandon Parish Working Committee (1972-1974); records of the congregation, including newspaper articles, a cookbook by the Knox Ladies, miscellaneous papers (1910-1930), reports from the World Council of Churches Second Assembly (1954), financial records (1945-1946), Annual reports (1947-1968), photographs, weekly calendars (1955-1969), canvass details (1947-1948), Dedication Service (1956), and list of historical record information (1963), special services (1957-1959), Certificate of Membership stubs (1969-1993) and certificates of Membership and Transfers (1941-1968), Congregational Meeting Minutes (1972-1974), and Annual Reports (1951-1995), and Human Relations Course (1965); Records of the Women's Auxiliary (W.A.) (1938-1961); records of the choir (1954); records of the Board of Stewards (1944-1959); records of the Women's Missionary Society (W.M.S.), including minutes (1958-1961), an issue of "The Missionary Monthly (1950), certificates (1939-1953) and a cash book (1926-1936); Historic Roll (1939); records of the Amicae Club, including minutes, membership list and attendance (1944-1961), and a cash book (1941-1950); records of the Alpha Omega Club, including minutes (1951-1961), constitution booklets (1951-1959, 1961), and an address stamp; records of the Devotional Committee (1954-1960); records of the Official Board (1948-1974); records of the Church Council (1974-1976); records of the Coordinating Committee (1967-1974); records of Pastoral Care (1959-1967) and of Pastoral Care and Membership (1969-1993); records of the Board of Trustees (1959-1963); records of the Group 2 Women, including minutes (1973-1974, 1988-1994), and a report (1961); records of the Christian Education Committee (1968-1982, 1990-1993); record of the Worship Committee (1968-1983, 1993-1994); records of the Outreach Committee (1975-1983); and records of the Council (1968-1994).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area