Fonds 724 - Brandon Flying Club fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Brandon Flying Club fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

CA DHM 724

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1946-1976; predominantly 1963-1976 (Creation)
    Creator
    Brandon Flying Club

Physical description area

Physical description

8.4 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1936-)

Administrative history

The Brandon Flying Club originally called the Brandon –Virden Flying Club was established November 28, 1936 and incorporated January 2, 1937. The club began as a training school for pilots with founding member Cecil Leech as President and Chief Flight Instructor. At this time, all civilian flying was under the jurisdiction of the Department of Defense. In order to encourage civilian flying the department had an arrangement with the Canadian Flying Club Association, whereby member clubs who purchased a new training plane were provided with a second trainer. Therefore, the Brandon Flying Club became a member of the Canadian Flying Club Association and purchased a Taylor cub and Aronca Cabin to train pilots. By 1939, the Club was highly regarded by the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Flying Club. The Brandon Flying Club was selected as the first club in Canada to train pilots for the Canadian Air Force. During World War II, the Club was forced to shut down due to the lack of students and personnel leaving or joining military services. The Brandon Flying Club resumed operations after the war and still maintains its Flight Academy and a membership of over 170 individuals.

Custodial history

Accessioned by Daly House Museum in 1993. Prior custodial history is unknown.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of financial records, correspondence, newsletters, minutes and reports related to the activities of the Brandon Flying Club and the operation of the Brandon Municipal Airport from 1946 to 1976. It is divided into the following series:
1. Miscellaneous Records (1963-1966)
2. Financial Records (1947-1973)
3. Correspondence (1966-1976)
4. Brandon Flying Club Newsletters (1970-1976)
5. Airport Commission (1946-1966)
6. Municipal Airport (1951)
7. Royal Canadian Air Force Association (1969)

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres